Monday 19 March 2012

Walt Disney once said “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world.” This is a quote that helps to sum up what it is I love most about design; that the possibilities are endless.

My name is Molly Parker, i’m 18 and fresh out of year 13 at Takapuna Grammar School. I have moved down to Wellington from Devonport, Auckland and am now one of eight design students living at Weir House.

As a designer my biggest inspiration comes from my love of fine art. Painting in particular has always been a passion of mine as it is a way to express ideas and opinions without the use of words or numbers. Art allows you to be as original and quirky as you like because it doesn't have to follow a criteria, it can simply represent you. I picked up art design last year and combined it with fine art to create my own refreshing style involving many hand drawn images and textures.
Some of my favourite artists who I draw influence from include Banksy, Lazslo Moholy-Nagy, Tim Marrs and Linn Olofsdotter. Despite their differences in style I am able to find many things I love in each.

My aspirations for design begin with continuing on in design innovation going into media design as my chosen stream. However looking further into the future I am hoping to go into a design field along the lines of the work done at Weta Workshop (so convenient that it should be here in Wellington).

Choosing to study at design school was the perfect option for me. It allows me to study something that I actually find enjoyable and have a genuine interest in. I look forward to a year full of new experiences and information round every corner, pushing boundaries and never knowing quite what to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment